Thursday, November 15, 2012

Leaving the East


I’m beginning this entry on a flight from New York to Miami—on a flight and airline I was not originally going to be on. After a delay at Dulles I missed my connecting flight and barely made this one. My luggage is probably still in New York, but it was either sort it out or actually make this flight. But whatever, I can handle a few days or weeks in the same clothes.  
I had such a good stay in my little storage closet that I was kind of sad packing everything up. I haven’t been able to spend this much time with my brother and sister and my sister’s family for years. My nephews and I got to know each other a lot better and I got to see what life on the hill is like for a busy PhD student (Aaron). I made some new friends, survived my first hurricane, and read books at a rate I haven’t been able to do since enrolling in college.
I haven’t written anything here for a while because I have been having all sorts of mixed feelings about what I’m doing. I am definitely a list-maker and a planner—a student who despite losing her wallet, cell phone, and keys at least bi-monthly will always turn in her assignments on time, even if it means a last minute four-pager hammered out in 45 minutes. So this whole showing up in another country with no grasp of the language, no return ticket, and no job has been making me nervous. I like to have a rough idea of where I’ll be in six months or a year; I like to have some sort of Plan B. But everything seems scarily permanent—my cellphone and car are no more; I have bikes and boxes in three different states, people I love in five or six, and no idea when I’ll see them again.
What really makes me nervous though is that I will somehow waste my time. That I’ll not get a job and I’ll have to come back to the States without much in the way of experience or growth to show for it. That I’ll have to work some crappy job and wait a year before I can get into grad school.  
But I realize that even if a teaching job and everything falls through completely, I’ll be spending three months in a beautiful country with relatives I love and am not often able to spend time with. At the very least I should be able to work on some Spanish, help my uncle with some writing and editing for his company, and hang out in Ecuador’s bustling capitol city.
So now I'm mostly excited for what lies ahead...and I'm ready to be done with airports for awhile.
Here are some pictures from the last couple months.  

The siblings (minus one) trying to do a serious Civil War style photo (in honor of Aaron's high school obsession with the Civil War and subsequent trip to EVERY battlefield EVER with his younger sister). 
Reading Where the Wild Things Are to Calvin and Clark.

Painting at the Playseum in DC.

Making a homemade kite. 



2 comments:

  1. I wish I would have had the encouragement to do what you are doing when I was younger.
    I come from a South American country and such things for a girl are not encouraged. I visited Canada to study English, on my own, and many thought it was a crazy thing to do.
    YOu will have many fun stories, and life lessons to carry along the way with you. It will make you a better person all around. The full-time job thing, as important as it is for security reasons, once you go down that road, there is no going back.
    Good luck to you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I just now saw this post^ but thank you! Exactly what I needed to hear this morning.

    ReplyDelete