Sunday, December 23, 2012

Finding a job, a glacier

I realize it´s been awhile since my last post, but the thing is that on Monday, after two interviews and a demo lesson, I got a job at Wall Street Institute (English school)! It´s a good school with a good reputation internationally and hundreds of locations should I decide, after this year´s contract is over, that I want to teach in other countries. Anyway, shortly after finding out that I got the job and will start the first week in January, I made plans to use what´s left of my money to travel just a bit before a job ties me down. 
So, I´ve been staying at a hostel in Latacunga and have gone on day trips from here to a huge, beautiful crater lake called Quilotoa and the volcano Cotopaxi, where I hiked up to 5,000 meters and walked on a glacier. The volcano itself is 5,800 meters or so at the top and requires all of the official gear like ice picks, a guide, and a midnight start. The whole experience has me wanting to start preparing to summit Cotopaxi and others before I leave Ecuador. I was so giddy about it that a Californian I met at the hostel and I almost went to Riobamba to hike up Chimborazo the day after we saw Cotopaxi, but since the hostels were booked and we only had one day, we decided to wait. And Quilotoa left me missing my backpacking gear and wanting to take a trail from there that goes to a bunch of small villages in the area.
Anyway, I´ll post in detail about the places I visited and some of the funnier experiences when I´m back in Quito. (Also, I have a camera again now, thanks to my awesome, generous family, and I will post pictures when I´m back in Quito.) But now I´m off to Cuenca for Christmas with my uncle´s family. I hope to get some exploring done around there as well.
Happy holidays, y´all. It was snowing on Cotopaxi and I walked on a glacier, so I´m still fine with not being home for Christmas, even though I do miss my family. 

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for sweet (read: awesome) experiences and getting a CAMERA! I can't wait to hear all about your teaching gig. You'll do great and get lots of good stories out of it, I am sure. :)

    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Merry Christmas (or more appropriately, Feliz Navidad!)!

    Carly

    ReplyDelete